Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Stockings

The stockings are hung by the chimney with care

It all started in 1972 when I made six felt stockings ... for Bill, myself and two other couples who traveled from afar to join us for our first Christmas in Banff.  Denise's and Laura's were made for their first Christmases in 1975 and 1978 respectively.  With acquired sons-in-laws I made two more in 2007, for Larry and Adam.  Avery's was made for her first Christmas in 2008.  This week, for little Amira, I sewed my 17th stocking.

In progress

The little caricatures are meant to portray the personality of the individual.  In designing them I consider the colour placement plus colour compatibly to their immediate family member's stockings.  It's easier and best to hand sew all the bits of felt and embellishments on the front before it is machine stitched to the back.



As she is only two weeks old, I can't really know Amira's personality, yet, but I suspect she'll be athletic and playful.  She was born in Banff on a clear night when the 99% full moon was magically lighting the snowy mountain peaks, so the Christmas ornament that I have her swinging on is that moon.

Without a doubt these stockings are a labour of love and I loved making each and every one of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment