Friday, July 22, 2011

A Dream Realized

Table Mountain, Bill, Susan, Jim and me the night before our hike

Now that I have stood on top of Table Mountain I can scratch another item off my bucket list.  Last year, when we camped (for the first time) at Beaver Mines Lake right beneath the striking mountain, I knew I would not only paint it but I would have to stand on that peak one day.

I know that you've seen it before, but once again ...
Table Mountain  oil   30" x 40"

With my last journey of such epic proportions undertaken three years ago and given my level of unfitness you might say it was foolish of me to take on such a vertical hike, and you'd be right!  The elevation gain is 2510 feet; 765 metres for you converts.  Could we have had a clearer day?  I don't think so.  The forecast high for July 18th at nearby Pincher Creek, Alberta, was 31C.  It seemed even hotter on the trail.


Going up I was on a natural high spurting aloud about how much I miss trekking in the mountains.  "I can take on Mt. Robson!" I exclaimed (yeah, right).  The stunning views at the top not only met my expectations they exceeded them.

The sheer face of the west peak

With the utmost caution I just had to crawl out to the edge and peer down.  So far down to the lake and campground below.


Going down was grueling, exhausting and oh how I wanted to be carried!  Days later my muscles still ache.  Would I do it again?  Oh yes!

To view the entire photo essay please click here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150725642175438.704257.715295437&l=a239458396&type=1

1 comment:

  1. Wow, so beautiful! Every step is worth it, and I will not stop aiming for those peaks until the day I die. Nearer my God to thee, Oh Lord.

    ReplyDelete