Thursday, January 13, 2011

A Little History on the Prairies

The University of Lethbridge opens a significant exhibition today. Jim Coutts has donated a substantial portion of his art collection to the university (approximately 200 pieces). The exhibition continues until February 25th, 2011. Please refer to this link for further details ...
http://www.uleth.ca/artgallery/?p=1862

I am honoured to have this painting in the collection ...

Down on the Farm 2006 oil on canvas 14" x 22"

Above is the invitation piece by Ron Woodall,
Coutts Homestead, 1977

I borrow a passage from Jim's statement about the donation:

Business and politics would keep me travelling for decades. But along the way I made a wonderful discovery. Virtually every village in the world has at least one person drawing, painting, carving – sometimes you have to look hard, but they are there. While travelling I often visited them and began collecting works by local blacksmiths, carpenters, painters, sketchers and sculptors. And in recent years I’ve come home to discover first-class artists in Nanton, Cayley, Fort Macleod, High River and Claresholm.

No comments:

Post a Comment