Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Sunflower Sunshine

Our friends, whom we affectionately call The Flower Children, have a farm in central Alberta where they grow flowers for commercial sale. During our visit last August we wandered their many acres, witnessed harvesting and were graciously sent home with this massive collection of assorted sunflowers.

In the centre of the bouquet you can see bloom I chose to paint. The oil was started in January and left at this stage:


To me it didn't yet have the coverage, particularly the yellows, or the vibrancy that I look for and want in my work. Today I finished it. What this photo can't show you is the juicy, thick paint! It's my first piece for a floral group show "BRING ON THE BLOOMS" with Annie Froese and Linda Mercer at Art and Soul Gallery in High River ... opening June 4th, 2010.

Sunflower Sunshine oil on masonite 8" x 10"

No comments:

Post a Comment